“When you see someone putting on his Big Boots, you can be pretty sure that an Adventure is going to happen.”
My first proper blog post back in January 2017 was an Adventure List of places in and around Edinburgh that we wanted to visit with Oscar over the coming year, and we managed to get through a lot of them. But all too often we can feel a bit uninspired and end up visiting the same places – mainly Portobello Beach, Vogrie & Dalkeith Country Park. Not to mention the recent weather – mainly the snow – has stopped us getting out and about as much as normal as the conditions don’t lend themselves well to a brand new baby and a c-section recovery…!
Therefore I can’t be the only one craving some better weather. There are only so many indoor activities you can do on repeat and I’ll be honest when I say I sometimes find it boring – the constant cycle of drawing, playing, den building + Paw Patrol. I think it’s OK to admit that… Or at least, I hope it is – surely I’m not the only one!?
Better weather makes it easier to get out and about and we find Oscar’s mood, and our patience, is vastly improved if we get out for some fresh air and explore, combatting the cabin fever – and that can only be a good thing, for everyone involved.
So now that I’m on maternity leave again, and Robin has some extra time off, I took to IG to get re-inspired and I had so many responses (can always rely on the insta community!) that I thought I would update the list in case anyone else is looking to add some exploring to their weekend activities! Some are in Edinburgh and some a little further afield… So here goes –
- Craigies farm
- Almond Valley
- East Links – we finally visited here on the first hot day of the year and it was BRILLIANT! It’s a little bit pricey (£15 per adult and £7 for Oscar), but I’d say it was worth it as a one-off. Oscar got to feed the lambs and take a train round the park. We spend the whole date there. However, if we were to go again we’d take a packed lunch. Also, if you live nearby, a membership would be worthwhile!
- The Museum of Flight – we visited on an absolutely miserable day that just would not stop raining! This was unfortunate, as a lot of the stuff to see is outside, so would be fab in summer! Nevertheless, we had a brilliant day, and there was loads to see and do including Concorde!
- Beecraigs Country Park
- Jupiter Artland
- Gorgie City Farm
- National Museum of Rural Life
- House of the Binns – visited during snowdrop season and had a lovely walk! You can also walk up to the tower and the views are beautiful.
- Almondell & Calderwood Country Park
- Archerfield Walled Garden
- Trampoline Centre (Ryze in Dalkeith & Granvity trampoline park @ Fountain Park)
- Seabird Centre
- The Kelpies
- Butterfly World
- Botanic Gardens + Glasshouse
- Hermitage Valley
- Blackness Castle
- Five Sisters Zoo
- Penicuik Estate
- Boat @ South Queensferry our to Inchcolm Island
- Gosford Estate
- Pressmennan Wood
- Arthur’s Seat
- Gallery of Modern Art
Some of these places cropped up on the original list and some we’ve already visited. We’ll be trying to work our way around some of the rest, especially as the weather starts to get better with Spring around the corner.
If you have any more suggestions, please let me know!